CarTrawler is the world’s biggest online ground transportation marketplace. We connect customers and travel companies to more ground based transport solutions in more cities than they will find anywhere else.
International airlines, hotel groups and online travel agents use CarTrawler technology to generate additional revenue from their existing online customers by offering them complimentary services in addition to their core product offering. CarTrawler technology enables them to offer their customers road and rail based transport solutions such as car rental, taxis, limousines, bus and rail connections through their own website. By consolidating the full range of ground transportation services and merchandising them through a single, intelligent booking engine, CarTrawler delivers the maximum return for Partners with minimum website real estate usage.
At CarTrawler, the development cycle is extremely short. We typically rollout our code every day – often several times a day, and as a software engineer working within this team of brilliant programmers you will see the fruits of your labour rolled out to our several million customers virtually immediately.
The purpose of your role:
Due to the continued growth and expansion of systems, there is a requirement to recruit an Engineering Lead – Dev Ops – who along with their team will monitor, report and maintain alerts on all our systems to ensure 100% uptime on our production servers. The successful candidate will have input on the architecture of all codebases.
This is an exciting role, ideal for a software engineer who loves to write code, solve problems, influence system architecture and lead a team. The candidate should have an understanding of the entire development lifecycle from concept, build, deployment and system maintenance.
The role is hands on and highly technical where the candidate will be responsible for identifying bottlenecks in our systems and promptly implementing the correct fixes.
The ideal candidate will bring industry standard and ‘best practice’ processes to our coding and software architecture and ensure we future proof our system requirements and scalability of our servers.
- Lead and mentor a small technical team
- Monitoring, reporting and alerting on all our systems
- Working with our IT team to ensure 100% uptime on our production servers
- Identifying bottlenecks in our systems and promptly implementing fixes
- Establishing best practices around coding and software architecture
- Projecting the future system requirements and scalability of our servers
- Coaching and mentoring a technical team
- Strong Experience with Unix systems and shell scripting
- Excellent performance-‐driven Java skills
- Experience managing large data sets
- Knowledge of Java Virtual Machine configuration, particularly garbage collection, Java memory model and concurrency.
- Experience working with Ant and Jenkins
- Experience working with and managing source control, such as GIT
- Advanced SQL skills
- Knowledge of IP networking
- Experience working with cloud services, such as Amazon AWS
- Experience with profiling tools, such as JProfiler
- Identifies problems and pragmatically solves them with simple, scalable solutions
- Finds a solution that best matches the problem at hand
- Has the ability to work on several projects at the same time
- Experience working with continuous production deployments
- Can work autonomously whilst staying abreast of all projects within the R&D team